Chief Operating Officer at Nuru International
International / Economic Development
Flexible. Candidates must be willing to relocate to southern California by August 2015
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Nuru International was founded by Jake Harriman, who attended the U.S. Naval Academy and served over 7 years in the Marine Corps as a Platoon Commander in both the Infantry and a Special Operations unit called Force Recon. His personal experiences fighting the war on terror around the world convinced him that extreme poverty is a contributing factor to the causes of 21st century terrorism and insurgency, and that a reduction in extreme poverty will impede their proliferation. To fight terrorism and insurgency from another angle, Jake left his career in the Marine Corps and enrolled at Stanford’s Graduate School of Business (GSB) to build an organization that could ultimately rid the world of extreme poverty in our lifetime.
Nuru International is designing the first self-sustaining, self-scaling, integrated development model to end extreme poverty in remote, rural areas in our lifetime. Nuru trains local leaders to solve problems in their communities related to four areas of need: hunger; inability to cope with economic shocks; unnecessary disease and death; and lack of quality education for children. Meanwhile, Nuru also recruits successful local businesspeople to start profitable businesses to fund its poverty-fighting work. Nuru's vision is to create a world where people living in extreme poverty can make meaningful choices to improve their lives in a sustainable way.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) will further develop all of Nuru’s domestic headquarters operations and supervise the execution of the organization’s strategy. In addition to being a strategic thought partner to the CEO, the Board, and other members of the Strategic Leadership Team (SLT), the COO will oversee all financial, marketing & development, human resources management, training, IT, and administration functions.
This is an ideal opportunity for a dynamic and experienced leader to partner with the CEO/ Founder to have a tremendous impact on a growing organization.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead and manage day-to-day responsibilities of the Headquarters Team including Finance, Marketing & Development, HR, Training, Administration, and IT
- Identify, develop, and implement operational process improvements to ensure high organizational efficiency and effectiveness of Nuru’s headquarters operations as the organization continues to grow in size and complexity
- Translate and deploy CEO’s vision, strategy, and performance targets into department plans and tasks
- Oversee staff management: recruiting, hiring, training, and development of all staff
- Manage professional development, succession planning, career tracks, and performance reviews of all teams under his/her leadership
- Manage the attraction, retention, and development of a high-performance workforce
- Promote extremely high expectations for staff in an enabling and supportive manner
- Create and manage standardized documentation and turnover procedures for all core functions within the organization
- In the event of the CEO becoming incapable of performing his duties as assessed by the Board of Directors, lead and run all aspects of the organization until the CEO becomes capable again, or a suitable replacement is found
Strategic Planning and Execution:
- Collaborate with SLT members to develop annual strategic plans for each department with vision and guidance from the CEO. Supervise the execution of these plans
- Create and implement short-term and long-term milestones and goals for each department
- Translate CEO’s vision and strategy into organizational policies, directives and procedures. Ensure implementation of those policies
- Communicate and build commitment to organizational policies and procedures among key internal and external constituents
- Manage the documentation of critical processes, functions and protocols within the organization
- Ensure effective management processes
Financial and Compliance Oversight:
- Oversee financial strategy, including the development of financial models, budgets, and analyses to provide insight into key operational decisions
- Ensure the management of a fiscally responsible organization with the finance team
- Oversee annual budgeting and audit
- Oversee financial systems and procedures for monitoring expenditures to assure that fiscal activities comply with federal, state, and local agency requirements, and keep the organization on budget
- Maintain custody of funds, insurance policies, contracts, and other similar documents and instruments relating to business operations
- Manage program impact evaluations of all domestic operations toward program goals
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of eight (8) years management experience in a similar role within a growing business or nonprofit organization
- MBA or Master’s Degree in related field strongly preferred
- Track record of achieving results in a corporate or non-profit environment with demonstrated success in building rigorous systems, policies, and tools to support a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization
- Experience with fast-growing nonprofit organizations and understanding of international development issues. Experience in growing a social venture’s infrastructure from startup to maturity is a plus
- Experience leading, planning and managing entrepreneurial teams with shared responsibility for outcomes and decision-making while demonstrating a flexible and adaptable work style
- Strong financial fluency; demonstrated ability to specify the financial analyses required to support strategic decision-making and use financial indicators to manage organizational performance
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills with an ability to clearly define strategic issues and make tough decisions in the face of ambiguity and incomplete information
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with a demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, lead multiple projects, ruthlessly prioritize, and manage a tsunami of tasks, deadlines, requirements, and decisions
- High energy and strong work ethic and high commitment to Nuru’s mission and values
- Knowledge of federal and state law preferred
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally at least 30% of time
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
» Please consider me for this position.